What is an RSS feed and how is it so useful?
RSS is the acronym for “Really Simple Syndication.” It is a standard format which allows subscribing directly to the news feed of a website, without having to visit each site individually.
An RSS reader allows aggregating different sources in one place, in the same app. The reading experience is also greatly simplified: only the content of each article is displayed, without pop-ups or advertisements.
- Feedly: one of the most popular platforms, offering paid plans along with a free tier (website).
- The Old Reader: another popular solution based on freemium/premium subscriptions (website).
- RSS.app: online RSS aggregator service (website).
- NetNewsWire: lightweight, simple and minimal app for MacOS (website).
- Winds Reader: multiplatform, open-source app, also available as a web service (website).
- Reeder: simple, minimal and privacy-aware app, for Apple devices (website).